Wednesday 2 February 2011

"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"

Khan Noonien Singh, quoting a Klingon Proverb, uttered those now (at least to Star Trek Fans) immortal words. Granted, at the time, he was about to try and blow Kirk out of the sky in a broken Starship, but the message was there none the less. 
Wait fifteen years for your revenge. That way, no one will see it coming.

Of course he ended up blowing himself up, and the planet that formed from his use of the Genesis Device revived Spock...
But what does this have to do with anything, you ask? 
This. 
Basically, those who know me will know I'm English and I love it. I embrace our biggest sterotype by drinking Tea on a regular basis! I love the Beatles and Doctor Who (Anyone who HASN'T noticed that partcular fact may now leave). And of course, I love Sherlock Holmes. 
Doesn't he look awesome?
I've read most of Arthur Conan Doyle's pieces of fiction about the World Famous Detective. I've watched all the Basil Rathborne Sherlock Holmes Films and I'm an avid fan of Steven Moffat's reimagined series "Sherlock", starring Benedict Cumberbatch's cheekbones as the detective. So, in 2009, when I found out about the Sherlock Holmes, I was excited beyond belief. 
Then I saw this

To his credit, Robert Downey Jr did an absolutely brilliant job as Sherlock Holmes! But it still ticked me that an American was playing one of the United Kingdom's greatest heroes! It ticked me almost as much as Russell Crowe playing Robin Hood (I've still not watched that), but now...on this day, England has gotten her revenge. 
How, I hear you ask?
With Superman
Superman, who fights for "Truth, Justice and the American Way", is being played in the upcoming "Superman: The Man of Steel" reboot by this guy: 
His name is Henry
Some people may recognise him from the Tudors. Some might even recognise him from Stardust (I didn't). Most won't even know who he is, like me! But his name is Henry Cavill and he is an English Actor! That's right, America, someone who fights from your "way" is being played by a Limely! Possibly the only way this could be worse is if Captain America, a man who name is your country, was being played by Martin Freeman, who is as English as it's possible to be.
We also stole Batman (Christian Bale is Welsh)! Not even Marvel's films are save, since half of Andrew Garfield is English (so I claim Spider-Man's torso) and the X-Men own Charles Xavier was played by the uber-awesomely brilliant man that is Patrick Stewart (Also, because we're petty, we stole Magneto! THANK YOU IAN McKELLAN).
So yes, this Revenge plot has worked out better then Khan's ill-fated grudge match against Kirk. (If only he had just destroyed the Enterprise instead of hailing Kirk to gloat...)

No comments:

Post a Comment