Thursday 27 January 2011

Irrelevant News

Oh you lucky, lucky people! Two Blogs in one Day! 
Now, having just finished my rant about the uselessness of my Junk Mail filter, I opened a new tab on my internet browser and thought "Hmmm, it's a been a while, I'll check up on the news". As usually, for me that means clicking open the Latest Headlines bit. 
There was the usual depressing: Death in Iraq, Gay Rights activist killed, idiot presenters get another award. 
I was just about to close when I saw this headline: 
Pigeons sniff their way home with Right Nostril

My immediate reaction was, of course, a very mild and calm "What the F**K?". So I clicked on it, read it and quickly realized that my initial Reaction was correct. It was an entire article based around the fact that researchers had discovered that by blocking a Pigeon's right nostil, they can't find their way home. 
Really?
Quotes like "Now, researchers in Italy, say they have shown how much the birds rely on one of their nostrils to "sniff" their way around" and "To investigate this further, the scientists plugged either the left or the right nostril of homing pigeons raised just outside Pisa. They released the birds from Cigoli, 40km away, and followed the birds' return routes using GPS trackers." Intrigued me no end and, after reading the article in its entireity, left me wondering...
Who would want to find this out?
It's like watching QI and discovering that Flamingos can shallow boiling water. 
Why kind of scientist thinks "Hmmmm....Do Pigeons sniff their way home?" or "What Animals can swallow Boiling Water?"
Of course, there issues are WAAAAY more important then...Oh, i don't know, curing Cancer or discovering Alternative sources of fuel. 
Just goes to show, there are some right weirdos out there. 

Enjoy this rant....SAVOUR ITS DELICIOUS RANTNESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment