Saturday 15 January 2011

Why I'm clever for NOT buying the Doctor Who "Christmas Adventure" figure set.

For those of you who don't collect Doctor Who Figures and really don't care about people ranting about those figures, Sod Off! This Blog is not for you and I don't partcularly care for your opinion, especially if its something along the lines of "You're 22 years old! Why are you still buying Toys?" (My normal answer to that is "Least I'm not buying Crack or Hookers". Take that, Gran!)

Anyway, back to the topic at the hand, the Doctor Who Christmas Adventure Set. THIS is what I'm talking about:


This set contains, as you can see, two figures and a TARDIS. The Eleventh Doctor is a repaint of a pre-existing figure I already have. I already have that TARDIS so really and I don't like the repaint it got. So really, the only thing going for this Set, at least to me, was a variant of the Amy Pond Figure. However, since it wasn't a Classic Set, I wasn't willing to pay £29.99 for a lone figure. Now, if it had come with Michael Gambon's Character as well, I'd have been all over that set, but it didn't so I wasn't.
Turns out, I was right not to buy this! As it happens, this is a Repeat of what, amongst Who Figure Fans, is known as the "Unearthly Child Incident" (or to me, the "Unearthly Child Frak-up")
Let me explain some more and bore you with my words.
THIS is the Unearthly Child First Doctor figure. 

As usual, it was a Forbidden Planet exclusive and cost £14.99. At this point, only one figure of the First Doctor was available, so I was pretty excited by this announcement. As soon as it came up for Preorder on FP's website, I placed one and patiently awaited the email saying it was on it's way to my door. Three weeks later, give or take, the figure arrvied and I was made happy.
BUT THEN, SHOCK HORROR, THIS ANNOUNCEMENT CAME!
"First Doctor and TARDIS set - coming soon!
This is what it looks like: 
Notice anything in partcular? The Figure inside that TARDIS Set was the same one. I WAS ANGRY BEYOND BELIEF. I couldn't believe it! I'd blown £14.99 on a figure, when I could've waited LESS then a month and then spent £10 more and got the First Doctor's TARDIS as well! So what did I do, loyal readers?
I caved, bought the TARDIS set and got a SECOND Figure of this variant. Was I happy? No. Did I complain? No, but I was tempted (Don't look at me like that - My Blog, my rules!). 
So how, pray tell, does this Unearthly Child Incident relate to the Christmas Adventure Set?
Well, if you're really that thick, you should leave my Blog now. 
I got an e-mail from FP, announcing this!
Yep, Single Release Amy Pond in Policewoman Outfit

Yep, there it is, folks. A figure of Amy Pond in her all Kiss-o-Gram outfit glory. And look, it's a single release and costs....£8.99. Is £8.99 less then £29.99? I think it is! 
That said, I'm still undecided about getting this Figure, and for those regular readers who are thinking "Cough, Orange Dalek and Eleventh Doctor" SHUT UP! 

No comments:

Post a Comment