Sunday 7 October 2012

My favourite Sci Fi Series


Continuing the theme of favourites (my last blog was about my favourite Doctor), I decided to write this entry instead of doing something sensible, like sleeping.

I am a massive Science Fiction fan. I watch Science Fiction on TV. I read Science Fiction novels. I write Science Fiction stories. Science Fiction is very much a big part of my life. I am a Trekker, Gater, Whovian, Browncoat and because I can't think of any more fan names, I also love Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, Fringe, Warehouse 13 and countless other Science Fiction series. I blame my parents. Had I been exposed to something "normal" at a young age, instead of Star Trek: The Next Generation, my life might have turned out very differently (in a bad way, I mean).

And yes, people also ask me what my favourite Science Fiction series is. Most assume its Doctor Who, because of the sheer amount I talk and write about it. Others assume that its any of the Star Treks, again because of how much I talk and write about it. I have MASSIVE figure collections from both franchises, as well as almost the entire line of Babylon 5 figures, a few dozen Star Wars figures, and merchandise from half a dozen franchise. To judge me based solely on my collections, though, is wrong. A lot of Series don't get much in the way of merchandise, and what they do get is WAY out of my price range. 

The truth will disappoint you all, save those who actually know.

I don't have a favourite series. 

Don't get me wrong, I watch Doctor Who and Star Trek a LOT, probably more so than any other series. I'm a walking encyclopedia about both series, as well as a couple of others I listed above, but that doesn't mean I'll always watch them though. What I watch is all dependant on one very important thing:

My Mood.

If I am in the mood, I will watch hours and hours of Star Trek: Voyager. Likewise, Peter Davison's adventures as the Fifth Doctor might take up a significant amount of my TV viewings. However, you're just as likely to catch me watching Babylon 5, Firefly, Stargate or anything else on that list. Or something, maybe even something that ISN'T science fiction, like Gilmore Girls (on really low so no one else can hear me watching it - it'll be our secret, internet blog) or something animated like Family Guy or South. 

And don't point out that I usually end my blog posts with a Star Trek quote, because if you look back, I used to end it with one from Battlestar Galactica. Like I said, it all comes down to whatever I am in the mood to watch. The examples I named aren't the only ones I watch. They're just the first ones that came to mind when I thought "what do I watch?"

Anyways, its time for me to sleep now, so please leave, kay. 


Live Long and Prosper



No comments:

Post a Comment