Monday 5 January 2015

An opinion


As anyone who knows me can tell you, I love the moving media. Films, television and animation, I love them all. 

But by the same token, there are actors and actresses who can make and break something for me simply by being in it. These people can mean the difference between me seeing something and not. This is not unique. Everyone has them. My friend Jeremy, for example, will generally see something if James Corden is in it. While I have a dislike for him myself, I will still generally not be put off by his presence. 

Having said that, though, I do think that there is usually an exception of one or two film that these actors appear in that the people enjoy. 

(I am excluding cameos. For the sake of this argument, the actor in question has to have a starring role. For roles involving Voice Acting, it again depends on the level of involvement.)

For me, that actor is Will Ferrell. 

I cannot stand him. Elf is a prime example. Elf is innocent enough. It has an entertaining storyline, a good supporting cast and an actress I would extremely cringe-worthy scenes for (I'm looking at you, New Girl) yet I cannot stand Elf because of Ferrell. the Anchorman series is likewise wasted on me, because of him. I simply do not find him funny. I think he is annoying. 

But having said that, I think Stranger Than Fiction is a great film. Ferrell is the main character, and the plot revolves around him being both a real person and a character in Emma Thompson's character's book, in which he will be killed off in the end. I don't know if its because he doesn't play the role with his usual level of hamminess or not but I would go as far as to say I even like Ferrell in this film.

The Lego Movie and Megamind are other examples of this. I think with these, it's because I don't see Ferrell himself (save for the ending of (SPOILERS) TLM). I enjoy him more as a voice over actor, I think. 

In closing, I feel that I have to say that I nothing against Will Ferrell the person. I just don't like him as an actor. 

And to you, my loyal readers, I ask. Is there an actor or actress whose presence in a film would immediately put you off seeing it? Let me know in the comments below

Live Long and Prosper


No comments:

Post a Comment