Sunday 3 February 2013

Announcing Project: Robot




So it's 2008, and Character Options, the company that makes Doctor Who figures, have just released pictures of their upcoming wave of figures based on the classic series. There are three Doctors, two "army builders" and three one off characters. Every Collector out there is really excited, myself included, and then we see the words "Build-it-Figure". Everyone becomes even more excited, especially when the Build-it figure was announced as the "K1 robot".

Which looks like this:


Now, back then, I wasn't anywhere near as knowledgeable about Classic Who as I am today. I had absolutely no clue as to the significance of the Robot, save that it was from Tom Baker's first story. So when I bought the figures (only the ones I wanted, mind - so the Doctors, some Sea Devils and Zygons), I thought nothing of the pieces, and they were mostly given away. About a year later, I bought the Magnus Greel and Mr Sin for £10 (quite the deal). At some point, I also bought the SV7 robot (the silver one in that group). Again, I still had no intention of building this figure, so I threw the pieces into a box somewhere and promptly forgot about them.

Cut to about three weeks ago, and I watched ROBOT, Tom Baker's first story, in it's entireity for the first time. I've watched the odd episode in the past. Of course, having seen it, I wanted the Build-it-figure. So I searched through various boxes for the pieces, but gave up.

Today, I tried again, and I found the following pieces: 

My K1 Robot, so far

Now I am especially pleased with finding that arm! That's the piece that came with Magnus Greel (who is now worth around £80) and I really did not want to pay that much JUST for the arm (well, the gun - I could've bought another Fifth Doctor and just had two arms). So this has made my day.

My friend has offered me another arm, so all I need now is the upper torso (Sixth Doctor), second leg (D84 - black robot) and the head (Zygon). I shall keep you updated as I collect. 

Soon...

Live Long and Prosper


No comments:

Post a Comment