Monday 2 January 2012

My first Figure review of 2012

Yes, boys & girls, I decided to put up ANOTHER blog tonight. This time, however, it'll be a review of one of the many Doctor Who figure sets I've received over the last month or so. I don't know what it was, but suddenly Character Options and Underground Toys couldn't seem to release enough figures fast enough.
I mean, in the space of a month, we got:

Enemies of the First Doctor

Enemies of the Third Doctor
The Invasion of Time Set
The Keeper of Traken Set

The Caves of Androzani Set
Image of the Fendahl Set
The Chase Set
That's seven sets, for those of you who can't count too well. And since these are all classic figures, they're exclusives and therefore, not cheap. But enough about that. More about me reviewing them. (Well, apart from the Fendahl set, since that hasn't shipped yet.)

For this review, I choose to do the "Keeper of Traken" Set. I have to say, I really like this Set, since it showed CO/UT don't always go for the cheap options. For instance, the Serial this set is based on features Tom Baker in his burgandy outfit, which has already been released in figure form. However, instead of simply re-releasing that figure in this set, they tooled a new variant IE the Tom in waistcoat. My figure's detailing and paintjob is top notch, as usual. There are no problems with it as far as I can tell. As is the norm, he comes with his Sonic Screwdriver and a large(ish) accessory of the Source Manipulator Sphere.

Onto the Master. Again, this is a nicely sculpted figure which is the spitting image of who he's supposed to be. Underneath his cloak, he seems to be wearing the same suit as the DA Master fromt he second wave of Classics, which makes sense considering it's the same Incarnation of the Doctor's enemy.

But for me, what makes this set worth it is the two TARDISes. Both belong to the Master this time around (which makes sense considering we already have the Fourth Doctor's TARDIS) and are beautiful immortalised in plastic. The Melkur is awesome and features very basic articulation in the arms, legs and head. The Grandfather Clock, however, is my absolute favourite of the Set. For me, this has always been Roger Delgado's TARDIS, more so then the Computer Bank we got in a previous release, similar to how Anthony Ainley's TARDIS will always be the column for me.

All in all, a great set! My only complaint is that it featured a Tom figure when it could've so easily had a Nyssa (a figure we don't yet have) instead. Therefore, I mark it as 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment