Thursday 5 January 2012

Review: The Enemies of the Third Doctor Set

First off, I know I said I would probably do the Chase Set as my next review but, as often happens with me, I changed my mind. Instead, I will review the Third Doctor's Enemies set. And boy, what an interesting set it is.

Pictured: The Set...duh
I was personally very excited about this Set, since it contains two figures that have featured on my personal wishlists ever since they started making Classic Figures: Omega and the Auton. As for the Drashig, a lot of people don't like it. I am not one of them. I think it's absolutely brilliant, but more about that shortly.

Auton: The Auton is from Jon Pertwee's first serial, Spearhead in Space. The body is a retooled first release Jack Harkness (which ironically enough was the base figure many people used to make custom Autons). The head is a dead match for the characters in the serial, which is unsurprising considering how hard it would be to muck up that head.


Having said that, they painted the eyes black, which I think looks better than there. Another advantage to this figure over the previously released Autons is that they come with an interchangeable hand. The Autons, based on "Rose", featured a weird hand where the fingers slide which looks NOTHING like they do on screen. It also comes with a Nestene Sphere, which doesn't look like much more than a melted glob of plastic (AKA exactly how it looked on the show).

The only downside I can see to this figure is that, due to being a retooled series one figure, it doesn't feature the same amount of articulation as later figures. That said, it is STILL a great figure. I give this figure a full 9 out of 10.

Omega: Now this is an interesting figure to say the least. In the past, when CO/UT has done figures in long robes, the robes have been moulded. This time, they choose to go for fabric. I'm not too sure about this myself, since I've always felt fabric cloaks and the like don't look as good as plastic. This figure, to me, is no exception.

However, despite this, it is still a brilliant figure. If you take off the helmet, there's nothing underneath it as in "The Three Doctors". CO/UT could've just stuck the helmet on and been done with it. Its touches like that that make me truly love this Toyline. However, to me, the fabric cloak stops it scoring a perfect 10. Once again, 9/10.

Drashig: The Drashig technically isn't a figure. It's a hand puppet. Whoever thought this one up had a brilliant mind! While some people would've preferred a Draconian, a Silurian or an Ogron, the Drashig makes this set completely unique. Never before has CO/UT released something like this. They came close with their rotocast accessories but this is fantastic.

Obviously, it's a little out of scale with the rest of the Line, but if it were in scale, I think the Drashig would be about three foot tall! This is a very neat novelty item, and almost screen accurate. For that reason, I give it 10/10.

The Set in general: This set, to me, is close to perfect. it contains two figures the fans have been asking, and a nice novelty item in the form of the Drashig. 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment