Tuesday 24 January 2012

Warning: Contains Rant

Welcome back, loyal readers.

As usual, after promising to blog more often, I completely forgot and spent my evenings running around the Internet instead. However, when I don't promise, I blog more often! Irony.

But that's beside the point. Today's post is a RANT about Character Options Character Building Line. For those not in the know, Character Building Figures are basically Lego inspired figures and playsets for Dr Who (and the armed forces but I don't care about them.)

Basically, this is them:


These are in order of release. There are also some sets, which include the rest of the New Dalek Paradigm and some army building sets. I personally do not collect them, but my Dad does. I wouldn't have a problem with them, except in the same year we got them, the 5 inch figure line (which I do collect), was comprised of this:







Yes, we did get some decent figures, including a new River and a Cyberman with gun, but every single wave was pretty much made up of re-releases with slight tweaks. Hell, the only difference between two of the waves is the number of psychic cubes on figure came with. To me, this wouldn't be too much of a big deal, except for the fact Character Option seems to be releasing the figures people ACTUALLY want in 5 inch form in their Character Building Sets only.

For example, in their Second Wave: 


It featured a Vampire Woman from Series 5. As a regular forum visitor, I saw this on many people's wishlists, especially after the other Vampire was announced. However, that is nothing compared to Rory! Everyone has wanted a Rory figure since before he became a main Companion. It is the single most frequent figure that I've seen, and I know because it's ON MY OWN DAMN LIST.


This is their Super Rare figure list, three of which also appear on Wishlists. Rory as a Roman, Pirate Amy and American River Song. Everyone wants a Rory, and a fair few people want him as a Roman as well. People are also after another Amy variant, be it in her pirate get up or just a Series 6 figure. I included River because she has become a popular character and a lot of people want another figure of her. However, this is nothing compared to their newly announced third wave.


Obviously, this is their newest announced Wave. It was literally announced this morning, and has no fewer then SIX figures people want. Again, it has an Amy and a River (this one is one I want a 5'' figure of), a Doctor in long coat and a Rory. It also has a handbot from the popular Episode "The Girl Who Waited". I know several people who want this released in figure form. If we got a future Amy as well, I would buy several.

However, the main figure in this list that many people want is the Kovarian. Each series of Doctor Who has one Big Bad (to borrow a phrase from Buffy) and this year, Kovarian was it. I like having figures of the Big Bad, and the lack of a Kovarian has been one of my biggest gripes (along with a lack of Rory).

I just wish that the 5'' line got this much love, instead of one or two new figures and constant re-releases.


So say we all!

No comments:

Post a Comment